Saturday, August 16, 2014

My First Blog Post: "Out with the old. In with the new."


Here I am ... new to the world of blogging. Is that even how you say it? Blogging? I have a blog. I am a blogger and I am blogging? Every time I hear the word "blog", the movie "Mom's Night Out" comes to mind when Allyson was so excited to announce to herself that she was a Mommy Blogger. That has to be the hardest that I have ever laughed in my entire life ... when I watched that movie. If you haven't seen it, go now!!!! Get access to this movie some way and watch it. When you see Trace Atkins lay it all out and you have a teeny tiny tear falling out of your eye before you even know it, you will thank me! Don't drink a large soda before you start and try not to go to the bathroom because you may miss the opportunity to laugh really hard!!! By the way, I have self diagnosed ADHD. I can simply not finish one thought without inserting another ... squirrel!!!!


Ok, blogging: This is something that I have wanted to do for quite some time, but I have finally decided to go for it! I used to have a family blog before blogs were really cool. Really, it's more jealousy about how all the cool teacher bloggers I follow on IG seem to have all these linkey? linky?  parties and giveaways and get to know you and all sorts of stuff and I'm not sure what they are even doing. I'm a TPT buyer, but I am not a TPT seller - yet - so I have no TPT materials to give away! That will come in time.


I am teaching sixth grade for the first time this year after 15 years in first and second grade. Hence, the name of my blog: Sixth and Singley. I'm been commuting to our neighboring state of Florida for the past 11 years to teach in an elementary school there. This year, I finally jumped and decided to spread my wings and fly closer to home. I am entering a whole new world with 6th grade. But, my school is 4 minutes from my house. One daughter is at school with me and the other is at our feeder school next door. The hubby is 2 blocks away at our church. This location is a dream come true!


This blog will be about various things that come at the intersection of Sixth and Singley. I will let you know what is going on with school, occasionally my family and church or the fun second job I have as a Director with Thirty-One Gifts.


If there is anything that you want to know, just ask. I'm pretty much an open book. I love my family. I have an awesome church family that is also where my main group of friends come from. You know they are true friends because when it came time to clean out my HUGE closet after 15 years of elementary teaching, they all drove their vehicles 45 minutes to my school and spent the day helping me clean out and pack up. We believe in laughter. Lots of laughter! Life is pretty much a party when we get together.


Speaking of friends and things old (no pun intended), let me take you to my old classroom for a minute!


Check out my closet! I had taken my entire classroom and jam packed it inside here so that the new teacher could go ahead and move into the room before I had a chance to clean it out and pack it up.


Luckily, the teacher didn't move in. We were able to pull everything out and sort it before packing it up.

The closet definitely looked better when we were done! I know, I know. You would absolutely LOVE to have a big closet like that. Yes, it was awesome. It gave me room to hide all of the ugliness that I had to hide. The crazy thing is that there were actually two of these in my classroom! I have great friends, for sure!

Since they had worked so hard, we decided to treat them to one of our favorites, Sonny's BBQ!

Now that I am all moved into my new classroom, in a different state, a different city, a different school district, a different school and a different grade ... the story will continue.

Welcome to my adventures at Sixth and Singley!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great blog! You have done a fabulous job. I look forward to reading about all your adventures as a 6th grade teacher and life in Singleyville. Speaking of Singleyville, your husband sounds awesome, just sayin! Hope you have a great year as you begin this new adventure. May God richly bless you.

    ReplyDelete